Why should you go for international surrogacy?
The question that why one should go for international surrogacy can be answered after defining what surrogacy and its kinds are; as many are unaware of a very important phenomenon that is surrogacy. Surrogacy is a fertility treatment and arrangement wherein a woman carries and delivers a pregnancy for another couple. There are two basic types of surrogacy – traditional surrogacy and gestational surrogacy. In traditional surrogacy, the surrogate mother may be the genetic mother of the child. In gestational surrogacy, the surrogate mother may be genetically unrelated to the child.
Surrogacy is gaining a lot of traction all around the world. That is especially true for Western countries because of the process of adoption being tightly controlled through tedious bureaucratic processes, long waiting periods, uncertainty regarding the adopted children and the desire of people to have their own genetically-linked children.
Geographically, surrogacy is of two types – domestic surrogacy and international surrogacy. Domestic surrogacy, as the name implies, means that the intended parents find a surrogate mother in their own country. International surrogacy, on the other hand means that the intended parents find a surrogate mother in a foreign country. They vary from each other due to difference in the laws, cultures and environments of different countries.
In terms of genetics, surrogacy is of two types – traditional surrogacy and gestational surrogacy. In traditional surrogacy, the surrogate’s egg is used to create the embryo of the child she is going to carry (either through intrauterine insemination or in vitro fertilization.) In gestational surrogacy, the intended parents create an embryo using their own egg and sperm or using donated egg or sperm. Gestational surrogacy is the preferred way of conceiving as it allows both intended parents to be biologically related to their child. Nevertheless, it also overcomes some of the legal and emotional conflicts that come with a surrogate being genetically related to the child she delivers.
In terms of the financial factor, there are two types of surrogacy – compensated surrogacy and altruistic surrogacy. When the intended couple gives a payment to the surrogate mother for carrying the baby beyond basic reimbursements for pregnancy-related expenses, it is called compensated surrogacy. If the surrogate mother is not given any additional payments beyond medical expenses, it is known as altruistic surrogacy.
There are many reasons people choose to go for international surrogacy:
- Cost-Saving: The costs of surrogacy in Western countries such as the United States can easily go up to $130,000. This proves to be a huge financial burden on people who have infertility issues. It might even prohibit some to go for surrogacy and have a child of their own. This makes people look for options in other countries where it is cheap and affordable. In countries like Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, it is significantly cheaper to have the same procedure done. If you sign up with Surro Moms Abroad, the program will cost you something between $57,500 and $65,500, plus the cost of traveling. Even other fertility techniques like IUI (Intrauterine insemination), ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection) and IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) costs are significantly lower in some countries due to the overall cheaper medical costs. This enables people to have a child of their own who otherwise would not have been able to afford it. Many couples are now opting for this method of cheap surrogacy as their preferred way of surrogacy to have their own child.
- Laws and Bureaucracy: As far as the United States is concerned, the laws regulating surrogacy vary from state to state. In some American states like Indiana, Nebraska, Arizona, Hawaii, Idaho, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont and Wisconsin, the laws are not surrogacy friendly. Similarly laws are different in other countries like the UK, China, etc. and sometimes not conductive to surrogacy. People living in such places opt for surrogacy from other countries where the laws allow it. Also, people from places with complicated surrogacy process find it easy finding a surrogate where laws regarding it are relatively more relaxed.
- Genetic preference: In case of egg donors, people might have a preference as to which country, race, and genetic pool to pick before selecting their egg donor. For example, a couple of intended parents might specifically want an Asian egg donor. In that case, they would sign up for international surrogacy with their preference for the egg donor.
In case of international surrogacy, it is best to go with baby surrogacy agencies. These agencies help you with the entire surrogacy process right from finding a surrogate mother, egg donor, and fertility clinic surrogate, to drawing up the agreements the last stages of pregnancy. If intended parents and a surrogate have not found one another yet, they’ll usually work with a trusted surrogacy agency or similar service to safely find the perfect match. For intended parents and surrogates who aren’t comfortable handling and taking charge of all the aspects of their surrogacy, a surrogacy agency or program will take the majority of the responsibility out of their hands.
One such agency is Surro Moms Abroad. Many people have reluctance regarding international surrogacy due to doubts and risks. To ensure a safe and sound surrogacy process, Surro Moms Abroad has an extensive selection process for the surrogate mothers to ensure that every surrogate mother had previously given birth to a healthy child and generally leads a healthy lifestyle. SMA also set up facilities where the surrogate mothers can choose to live at and we would provide all of the necessary prenatal care including proper nutrition, vitamins, prenatal yoga classes, aqua therapy, massages, and many more services to make the entire process enjoyable and beautiful for all parties involved. We also offer scheduled Skype calls, as well as ongoing updates for the intended parents about the gestational surrogate mother.
These are the requirements for a surrogate to get signed up with us:
- 21-35 Years Of Age
- Healthy Body Mass Index
- Married And Financially Secured
- Delivered At Least One Biological Child
- Passes A Background Check
- Does Not Use Drugs, Smoke Cigarettes, or Abuse Alcohol.
- Has Stable Living Conditions
- Must Undergo A Psychological Assessment
- Has A General Understanding Of The Gestational Surrogacy Process
- Willing To Speak With Intended Parents Monthly
- Passes All Medical Screenings
To find out more about how or why international surrogacy process shall be carried out and start your own beautiful journey to parenthood, give our experts a call on +1 (303) 722-0066.